Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Road Less Traveled


I was a bit beside myself today to find this video.  To hear one of my favorite poets reading his own work, with the emphases he had in mind as he composed it, is a rare treat for me.

Is this everyone's favorite poem?  It certainly is one of mine. 

I found this at Our Journey.  There are several poetry "readings" over there!





"He guides me in right paths for His Name's sake."  (Psalm 23:3)

"Since the blood of Jesus assures our entrance into the sanctuary by the new and living path He has opened up for us through (the veil meaning His flesh), and since we have a great Priest Who is over the house of God, let us draw near with utter sincerity and absolute confidence..." (Hebrews 10:19-21)

"I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life..."  (Jesus in John 14:6)

(William Bliss Baker painting in US public domain)

This post is linked to Catholic Bloggers Network Monthly Round Up  

9 comments:

  1. I am embarrassed to admit that I have heard of this, but had never read it. I enjoyed listening and seeing your Bible verses along with it. A great way to start my morning. Have a great day Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! My daughter actually has to memorize this poem as part of her curriculum, and she's been pretty down on it. She's a big poetry lover, and for some reason this one wasn't sticking with her. This will do it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kathleen. Hope you have a great day too!

    Jamie, I wasn't a huge fan of this poem until I was older. I wonder if it's after we've come to a few forks in the road(s), and SEEN "how way leads on to way," that this really hits us....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that idea is WAY beyond a 12 year old--even a pretty deep 12 year old! I think it's on the docket in her poetry program because it has a great example of "enjambment", where a line of poetry ends mid-sentence, as in lines 2 and 3 of the first stanza. We had a nice little argument about that--but The Man Himself set us right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice that Mr. Frost stopped by to show us all how this should be read! I had forgotten the actual term "enjambment," but I'm fan of it; I think it adds interest and a sense of "movement" to a poem.

      Delete
  5. This has always been one of my favorite poems. Robert Frost is surely one of the best twentieth century poets and we are so lucky to hear it in his own voice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you. I've listened to this before, but today's another day and being a bit of a poet, I like to see how it should be done.

    ReplyDelete