Wednesday, January 29, 2014

And the Winners Are....


You won't find The Breadbox Letters in the list of final winners of the Sheenazing Award.  But as I wrote two days ago, I have won, and won big.

In fact, I have one more thing to add to the list of winnings.  That is:  a new appeciation of the writings of the Venerable Servant of God Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.  It is for him that the Sheenazing Awards are named and presented; because of this, I've dug into his writings just a bit more over the last few days. 

And all I can say about that is:  well, take a look at what I mean.....

"Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote.  Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right." 

"Not many men want to die to their lower selves; it costs so much. Some prefer to have a cosmic religion, which neither puts restraint on their pride nor curbs their passions." 

"A spirit of license makes a man refuse to commit himself to any standards. The right time is the way he sets his watch. The yardstick has the number of inches that he wills it to have. Liberty becomes license and unbounded license leads to unbounded tyranny. When society reaches this stage, and there is no standard of right and wrong outside of the individual himself, then the individual is defenseless against the onslaughts of cruder and more violent men who proclaim their own subjective sense of values." 

"The Western world has been attempting to preserve the fruits of Christianity after having surrendered the roots."   
(all quotes from Archbishop Sheen)

Thanks be to God for the Sheenazing Awards!  I continue to be deeply honored by my nomination. 

All of the winners of the Sheenazing Awards can be found by clicking here.  Congratulations all! 

6 comments:

  1. Nancy,

    Have you listened to any of Fulton Sheen's talks? Many of them are available free online. We are so fortunate to be able to hear his words in his own voice. He is such a passionate speaker! And funny. I think there are a number of his TV shows on Youtube as well.

    Congratulations again on your Sheenazing award nomination. There was only one winner but any of the nominees would have made a worthy winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I'm delighted to know some of Bishop Sheen's talks are online.. I'll do more poking around. I grew up hearing his TV show, which was hugely popular when I was a little girl. I didn't actually watch it, and now I realize that's because what he said was way over my head at the ages I would have been. But if I hear his voice today it always feels like a flashback to childhood.

      YouTube! Of course he would be there! More checking of his materials is high on my agenda for tomorrow.

      Congratulations on your nominations also (again). !

      Delete
  2. You have other trophies waiting for you, Nancy. Crowns and all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. Thank you for posting these quotes. I was thinking after reading about him on Bonnie's blog that I wanted to get into some of his writings. Now I know for sure I will, as I love these passages you've shared.

    I also wanted to say "thanks" for your comment on my blog. You sound like a very special grandma, and I'm sure your grandchildren will have wonderful memories of time spent talking and crafting with you. Thinking of that makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for coming by, Amy. I enjoyed finding your blog, and look forward to further visits :) !

    ReplyDelete