Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Eyes Are Dazzled

"O ever-present God within me....
How seldom do I remember
that at any time, in any place,
I can find You, commune with You,
by simply turning towards You
the eyes of my soul.
Forgive me, Holy Spirit,
for behaving as if I had never heard of You!

Now, as one just awakened, I say
'God is here,
and I have been unaware of Him.'

I confess it with shame:
Every moment of my day
is filled with other interests.

My eyes are dazzled
by the sight of things and people.
I have little time,
little attention,
little love
to give You, the indwelling God...

O God, the Father,
God, the Son,
God, the Holy Ghost,
forgive me!"


(from "Listening to the Indwelling Presence," compiled by a Religious, Pellegrini, Australia, 1940, pp. 55-56)


 Painting:  Nicolas Regnier Truaer

4 comments:

  1. And He does listen....and forgives. m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Other interests" seep into our time so stealthily some days that we hardly perceive the influence they've had over us or the energy they've drained from us. Turning inward to gaze on God can seem difficult at these times..but it is a discipline to be learned and applied habitually..not something which comes automatically to us at first. With time and effort and a whole lot of grace.. it becomes easier, thank the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Trish, you've put into the words the struggle - thank you!

      Delete