Wednesday, June 10, 2015

But I Have a Wandering Mind


"Some say 'I do not make mental prayer, because I am subject to desolation, to distractions, and to temptations. I have a wandering mind that I cannot confine to the subject of meditation, and therefore I have given up mental prayer.' But to such persons St. Francis de Sales says: if in their meditations they do nothing else than banish distractions and temptations, the meditation is well made, provided the distraction is not voluntary. The Lord is pleased with a good intention, with patient endurance, during the whole time prescribed for meditation, and with pain arising from distractions, and will bestow many graces in return. We ought to go to prayer, not to please ourselves, but to please God. Even holy souls generally suffer aridity in meditation, but because they persevere, God enriches them with His blessings.' 

St. Alphonsus Liguori

 Painting: Carl Holsoe, in US public domain due to age

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quote - it expresses very well the work involved in true prayer, and the blessings that are to be had even when, as is usually the case, we don't do the work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete